Use Your Air-Conditioner and Refrigerator Wisely
A typical Singapore household spends about 50% of its electricity bills on the air-conditioner and refrigerator. If you want to reduce energy at home and save money, the best way is to use your air-conditioner and refrigerator wisely. You can choose to do one or more of the following:
- If you need to buy an air-conditioner, choose one that is energy-efficient and suitably sized for your home. Check out the models with the Energy Label from this NEA database.
- Set your air-conditioner’s thermostat to a higher comfortable temperature (about 25 degree Celsius).
- Clean the air filters regularly and service your air-conditioners annually. For general servicing, approach Coolserve or other contractors.
- Set the timer to switch off your air-conditioner before dawn or after some hours of usage.
- Stop using your air-conditioner and switch to a fan (standing, box or ceiling type) that can keep you comfortable while using much less energy than your air-conditioner.
- Use your air-conditioner and fan on alternate days. For example, use the air-conditioner on even days and the fan on odd days.
- Switch on your air-conditioner one hour before going to bed. When it’s time to sleep, switch off the air-conditioner and use the fan instead. The fan is able to circulate the cool air and keep you comfortable.
- Adjust the thermostat in the refrigerator to a higher temperature or setting.
- Close the refrigerator door immediately after taking out the food.
- Ensure that the refrigerator is not placed near heat sources (eg. heating appliances or sunlight).
- Ensure that there is space for airflow near the compressor and condenser coils.
- Check that the door is air tight by closing the door on a piece of paper, which should stay in place.
- Allow hot food to cool before placing the food in the refrigerator.
- Allow sufficient space in the refrigerator for air circulation and do not stuff too much food inside.
- Buy a refrigerator with the smallest model to suit your needs and choose one with the energy efficient Energy Label.