Energy Week: Leaders to discuss the challenges of meeting rising energy demand against an evolving energy landscape [Press Releases]
Singapore, 4 October 2012 – Energy leaders from the public and private sectors will come together to discuss ideas and share perspectives at the Singapore Energy Summit (SES), kicking off the series of conferences at the Singapore International Energy Week (SIEW) 2012.
This year, SES discussions will centre on broad issues towards “Shaping a New Energy Landscape”. These will include the need to diversify energy sources to enhance energy security, a discussion on the world’s future energy mix, and the resulting implications of these developments on energy markets and climate change.
There will also be specific focus on the rising interdependence between food, water and energy supplies, and the consequences of rising energy demand in Asia and globally. Malaysia’s Minister of Energy, Green Technology and Water, Dato’ Sri Peter Chin Fah Kui, will lead the discussion on this issue together with Ms. Ruth Cairnie, Executive Vice-President of Strategy and Planning at Royal Dutch Shell.
Lao PDR’s Minister of Energy and Mines, H.E. Soulivong Daravong, will steer discussions on the opportunities, challenges and cooperation required in financing energy infrastructure.The International Energy Agency recently forecast that some US$38 trillion of investment is needed to develop global energy supply infrastructure before 2035. Panelists from the Asian Development Bank, Citigroup and Bloomberg New Energy Finance will also be contributing their views on this topic.
Other distinguished speakers at the SES this year include:
- Adnan Z. Amin, Director-General, International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA);
- Jose Maria Figueres, President of the Carbon War Room and Former President of Costa Rica;
- Toshihiko Fujii, Deputy Director General, Global Energy Policy, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI);
- Dr Emir Mavani, President and Chief Executive Officer, Malaysia Petroleum Resources Corporation;
- Masakazu Toyoda, Chairman and CEO of The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan;
- Peter Schwartz, Senior Vice President of Global Government Relations and Strategic Planning at Salesforce.com;
- Hon. Eileen Claussen, President of the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions;
- Martin J. Houston, Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director of BG Group;
- Yoshiyuki Miyabe, Managing Director and Member of the Board at Panasonic Corporation; and
- David D.B. Morrison, Chairman, Energy, Wood Mackenzie
SIEW, now in its fifth year, is taking place against a backdrop of evolving energy trends, requiring policymakers and businesses to re-think their actions and approaches in order to ensure long-term energy security and sustainability. SIEW will run from 22 to 25 October at the Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore.